October 7, 2008

An Attack of Desperation

Maybe its me, but...

I am fed up with negative political campaign ads. What purpose does this serve? Does John McCain believe he will, somewhow, look better - smarter - by running down Barack Obama?

Seems to me, as it always has, this behavior is right out of the school yard. It's childish and I could be wrong but I think that most intelligent American adults would agree. Do political campaigners feel that we, as a people, are so foolish as to choose our candidate based on something that one man might have done or said years ago, or a slight affiliation to someone who did? I am horrified to think any adult with a brain would be caught up in that nonsense.

We are about to enter the home stretch of this campaign. It's safe to say that if the McCain-Palin machine has its way, it's going to get pretty ugly from here until election day. See Adam Nagourney's piece in the NY Times today, Campaigns Shift to Attack Mode on Eve of Debate.

To quote the piece: "Mr. McCain made clear on Monday that he wanted to make the final month of the race a referendum on Mr. Obama’s character, background and leadership — a polite way of saying he intends to attack him on all fronts and create or reinforce doubts about him among as many voters as possible. And Mr. Obama’s campaign signaled that it would respond in kind, setting up an end game dominated by an invocation of events and characters from the lives of both candidates."

According to that article Barack Obama is leaving it to his surrogates to mount a counter attack, at least so far and on the Keating 5. I hope (and believe) he feels as many of us do - he just doesn't see the purpose. His values and ideals allow him to understand that in attacking the opponent you do little to gain our respect. I applaude his decision to maintain his morals.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, let's just Sarah Palin out of it. If John McCain were smart, he would ask Tina Fey to step in on her behalf whenever she is required to speak. At least we could make sense out of what Ms. Fey was saying.

To illustrate, here's another quote from the NY Times: "Ms. Palin has several times cited a New York Times article published Saturday in raising Mr. Obama’s association with Mr. Ayers, but she has sidestepped its conclusion that the two men did not appear to be close and that Mr. Obama had never expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers."


And Ms. Palin is also quoted in this piece as stating that Barack Obama is "not one of us". I hope she is referring to the Republican Party. Because if she isn't than the statement is pretty offensive. Let me see... he is an American, he is a Christian... a father, a husband... a citizen. How is he not like me? Oh.. now I get it, maybe she was talking to women? Ah, that doesn't work either, does it. Barack Obama has great respect for women and their rights. Hmm... what could she have meant?

Stop wasting my time, will ya?

Focus on what matters... tell me how you plan on pulling my country and its people out of the mess W. and his buddies have put us in.

Talk to me about serious issues. Talk to me about how we can pull up and out of a financial crisis that threatens every man, woman and child in this country. Talk to me about what plan you will support to free America from foreign energy dependence. And on that note, do us all a favor and have a little conversation with T. Boone Pickens. Talk to me about a health care system that makes sense. Talk to me about solutions. Because, let's face it, we've got some serious problems.

Barack Obama believes that this kind of tactic is simply McCain's way of not addressing us about the real issues we face. I agree, it's a shell game. Hey, look over here... never mind the man behind the curtain. It's a desperate attack by a team who is falling behind. They'd like to prey on the (and let's face the unfortunate fact, they exist) weaker, closed-minded, fear-filled and prejudice. They will work hard to get those "folks" out to vote. Come on "east coast" - let's make sure that once and for all we put an end to kind of thinking that got us where we are now.

Make time for the debate tonight - and hope that Mr. McCain doesn't waste too much of your time.

2 comments:

News Editor said...

We can only hope that the negative stuff backfires on McCain and the She-Bush.(1) Can we really take anyone serious who says Obama pals around with terrorists because he lived around the block from a '60s radical? I grew up around the corner from Billy Kufmaholis. Does that mean I'm a crazy, drug-using, homicidal arsonist?

But Obama should be careful with negativity on the Keating Five. It has a feeling of ancient history to me.

Footnote:
(1) Jon Stewart, Daily Show, Oct. 6, 2008

Eileen said...

NJ Editor -
Watch Monday's Daily Show tonight. I love the "She-Bush" reference. Leave it Jon Stewart to point out the obvious with a smile!