October 6, 2008

Casting Your Vote

Maybe it's me, but....

What are you thinking when you decide how to cast your vote?

No election in US history has ever been more important. Our country has never known the damage that has been heaped upon it these last eight years. All around us good people are lifting their voices as never before trying to make us aware that change has never been more needed.

It's 2008 and still we fight the wrong fight. Offer me, if you can, one viable reason to withhold your vote from a man because of the color of his skin? If you make that statement, are you're also committing to voting for McCain simply because he is white? Never mind that the McCain administration would be a mere continuation of the one we suffer now.

Give me one good reason that I should vote for a VP candidate simply because she has female organs. I find it disgusting that women will cast a vote for Sarah Palin only because she's a white woman. It's not personal, believe me. I am simply aware that this woman is way over her head. She lacks the intelligence as well as the desire to effectively serve in this time of crisis. She was chosen by design - and too many women are buying the b.s. This may be a fine woman, but she can not speak to us intelligently about any issue that someone who will help to lead this country should certainly be able to address. For heaven's sake, this woman is being hidden from the news media so that we will not see her lack of knowledge. Can't you see you are being duped?

And as a mother, it drives me crazy that no one has asked her 17-year-old daughter if getting married and becoming a mother at 17 is really the choice she wants to make.

And just one more thing... why aren't we insulted at the continual reference to "those east coast politicians"? Isn't the bulk of our population in the east?

Barack Obama has risen above normal politics and can lead this country back to where we need to be. Remember when you could afford to buy a gallon of milk or a gallon of gas? Remember when you or your neighbor was not making a horrible choice to either eat or pay their mortgage? We've been driven into the ground and we must fight back - without prejudice and without fear.

I really want to know how anyone can look us in the eye (even if its through a television screen) and tell us that the war in Iraq is a "success" and that we "must win" there. What are we winning? Is the death of thousands of American young people, not to mention thousands of Iraqi's the ruler by which they measure success? I assure you that the McCain, Palin ticket will not only continue a baseless, useless war but will add more fuel to fire in other parts of the world.

There was a time that nations around the world held respect for the United States. Now, we are the laughing stock of the free world.

Maybe we've just been dumbed-down by too much "reality" tv.

Barack Obama is the candidate I have waited for all of my voting adult life. Finally, a man with principle enough to recognize that his time in addressing us is better spent informing us of his policy, his ideas and beliefs then to use it to beat down the "other guy". He's received criticism for not attacking his opponent enough. I applaude him. It's high time someone with some dignity and self-respect ran for president. He could have taken the easy road to the white house and chose Hilary Clinton as a running mate. He didn't. He was intelligent enough to recognize that he should choose with his mind and not with poll results.

I, for one, am willing to give him fair credit that he did not choose Joe Biden as a Vice President candidate to slight Hilary Clinton for being a woman, and heaven forbid, a white woman at that. I think Barack Obama chose Joe Biden for his record and his ideals (which I happen to believe in).

Why does it matter what color Barack Obama is or that he has a "muslim sounding" name? Aren't you sick of being beat into poverty? Doesn't the bail out of the current administration, with its ridiculous provisions, make you want to scream? Yea, we had to bail out the big boys. And your great-great grandchildren will still be paying back that debt middle class America.

Choose for your own sake, for the sake of our country and our people. Not the wealthy upper class - who will be the only citizens that might benefit from a McCain-Palin administration. Choose for middle America and those known as the lower class who so desperately need change. Choose without prejudice. Choose the best person for the job and take back our country. Vote for Obama.

2 comments:

NeuroticDem said...

Eileen!
LOVE THE BLOG!
I love the tone of it -- assured, informed, passionate -- and I love that you're adding your voice, and your perspective (mother of two, grandmother, wife, East Coaster), to this crucial debate.
When I read this line: "Barack Obama is the candidate I have waited for all of my voting adult life." ... it truly resonated with me.
I had no idea you were such a great writer!
I'll encourage other people to read this blog, and I encourage you to KEEP WRITING.
-Josh

Eileen said...

JR-
Coming from you this is a huge compliment. I thank you. It is your blog which so inspired me to begin this effort on my own - and I posted a link to your Bruce story.
I miss you dude, and I hope we will be celebrating together soon, first for our fighting Phillies, but far more in November.
Love to the family...
-Eileen