October 11, 2008

Wanted: Idealist Patriot Seeks Leader

Maybe it's me, but...
I feel pretty certain that being an idealist and a patriot is still a good thing.

Patriot: –noun

a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, esp. of individual rights...
Idealist: –noun

a person who cherishes or pursues high or noble principles, purposes, goals, etc.
a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are.

Sounds good to me.

I feel a true obligation, if not an outright need, to put my hand over my heart when I hear the national anthem. Cut me open, I bleed red, white, and blue. And, perhaps it's my upbringing as the daughter of a U.S. Army Sergeant, but I get pissed at ball games when men don't remove their hats when that anthem is played - or when people are too busy talking to even pay attention. Maybe it's me, but shouldn't we still - by example - teach our kids to have pride in and respect for the country they live in - even in it's beautiful imperfect state? I am a liberal but I also believe in love it or leave it. Maybe I just interpret that a bit differently than the old south definition. To me, it means, work for it (aka vote), respect it, treat it with some dignity or move on.

I believe that it is my civic duty to vote. I am pretty sure that it is still my duty to serve my country as a civilian, and I still feel that it should be seen as an honor. And in that spirit, I absolutely believe that is mine - and everyone else's - duty to pay their fair share of taxes. Too many people seem to feel that they have a right to take the milk and honey without paying for it. Too many seem to follow the "me first" line.

Being a patriot and a citizen also means that I have a right to protest what's not right about my country and it's government. I have, thank goodness, the right to elect officials whose ideals and policies I feel are right and fire those who do my country disservice. It's power and privilege - and it's called a vote.

Being an idealist means that I believe we should always work to better who we are as a people and a nation. We should recognize what's broken and work together to fix it. We should practice fairness in all things. We should practice human decency and acceptance of one another instead of just tolerance. We should learn from our mistakes.

I am proud that every one of us has the right to speak our minds, but I am fed up with politicians who use their soapbox in all the wrong ways. And I am also frustrated by journalists who don't practice the most basic of ethics of journalism. A good journalist does not present bias as fact.

Journalists should:
— Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.
— Remain free of associations and activities that may compromise integrity or damage credibility.
— Examine their own cultural values and avoid imposing those values on others.
— Avoid stereotyping by race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, geography, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance or social status.
— Support the open exchange of views, even views they find repugnant.

I hear (mostly from the conservative right) nothing but fear mongering and hate. I don't feel that Mr. McCain has, in straight talk, told me anything solid about what he plans to do to lead our country out of the darkness the present administration has cultivated. Someone in the White Hose switched off all the lights, and I don't think Mr. McCain knows where the switch is. What's worse is that I am fairly certain Ms. Palin does not know what a switch is.

After watching Real Time with Bill Maher this week whose guests included Stephen Moore of the Wall Street Journal, I have come to a new realization regarding the Republican conservative right. Is it me or do they all react as if someone told them a joke when they are handed facts that refute their often ridiculous claims? Aren't these "folks" - most of which have been afforded the best of education at our finest schools - capable of the intelligence an open mind affords? Seems that, as a general rule, they are so busy assuring themselves that they are right - they can't see the forest for the trees.

I got the sense that Moore took a clue in manners from McCain. As we all have heard, McCain displayed the ignorance that is rudeness, referring to Barack Obama as "that one". During the show, each time Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) attempted to speak, Moore rudely interrupted. At one point Moore accused Ms. Waters of having accepted campaign monies from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, then refused to give her the opportunity to answer those accusations. I would point Mr. Moore to a readily available website. He may be unaware that journalists have a specific code of ethics.
see: http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

I felt it ironic and interesting that when Bill Maher asked Mr. Moore to explain to the audience what ACORN is, and what the acronym stands for, Moore looked to Ms. Waters to answer the question - at which point Ms. Waters told Moore if he didn't know what it was he probably shouldn't be talking about it. Bravo Ms. Waters. And, of course, that begs the question - why doesn't a Wall Street Journal writer know what ACORN is?

I don't think I am alone in my worry about that the state of the nation or my humble place in it. I think that I am among millions who are hurting and who are desperate for a leader who can provide not only ideas, but ideals - and real solutions for most of us. I don't think that the other 99 percent of us feel that only the top 1% should find relief in a leader.

Wanted: Idealist Patriot Seeks Leader
Mr. Obama, you're hired.

3 comments:

News Editor said...

It's off-topic, but "Maybe it's me?" is on hiatus to celebrate the Phillies pennant, so I'm posting here on the debate.

-- Is Joe the Plumber buddies with Joe Sixpack? And if so, will they team up with Sarah Baracuda to form the new Mod Squad?

-- Encouraging words From blogger Roger Simon:

Sometimes McCain attacked directly, and sometimes he attacked sarcastically, but he never stopped attacking. And he never rattled Obama. Obama answered every attack and kept his cool.

How cool? Obama was so cool that after 90 minutes under blazing TV lights, an ice cube wouldn’t have melted on his forehead.


Go Barack! You gotta believe!

NeuroticDem said...

Eileen,
Love this post! I've been so angry about Palin's criticism of Biden, for saying that paying taxes is patriotic. I wondered why Obama didn't have a more effective answer along the lines of your post, during the debate. Love your point, too, about Moore. What -- are you married to a newspaper ethics guy or something?
I keep saying this, but you were holding out on us -- I had no idea you were such a good writer.
Speaking of which, njeditor: You had to bring the Metropolitans into this somehow, didn't you.

Eileen said...

Hey Neurotic Dem-
Thanks again, your responses mean a lot to me. Yes, I married an ethics guy and he is sort of amazing - but he also has great friends who are also all about ethics and decency - a fact of which I am very proud... well all except that Teresa chick who we're planning an intervention with. Ha Ha.
All my best... EM