October 6, 2008

Casting Your Vote - Part Two

Do us all a favor - vote or shut up.

I really need to add that thought. I love my country but I don't think it is perfect. I don't mind listening to your viewpoints - I love an open exchange of ideas. I do, however, have a real problem listening to people complain about everything that is wrong with America when they don't exercise their privilege to vote.

There were some pretty forward thinking, amazing men who founded this nation. They felt it was urgent to provide all citizens with a voice. They made that right a part of everything they built this country on. Most of their ideas for what a country should be have held true for over two hundred years. How lucky are we?

How many of those early citizens fought and died to give you that right? How many struggled, fought, were beaten publicly for those rights in the 1960s?

How can you just stand there and not respect those men and women who fought - not just for themselves but for all of us? Where is your respect?

Never before has it been so important, so critical to remind us that this is not merely a privilege - it's a duty.

Register. Vote. Or do me a favor, shut up.

1 comment:

News Editor said...

Keep firing away! I'm sure you're going to get a bunch of fodder out of tonight's debate. I'm curious to see how the town hall format affects the back-and-forth.

Daily Show is still on the DVR from last night, the 11 p.m. episode. They break down the VP debate, plus Jason Jones watched it at a restaurant in Wassilla, Alaska. Must see TV.

For politics junkies, check out this blog:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/

A final thought: Sarah Palin is the devil.