October 8, 2008

Enough of That One

Maybe it's me, but...

I have already heard and read enough reports of McCain referring to Barack Obama as "that one". I found it disrespectful too. I also thought it was a foolish error on McCain's part (so thanks, John - you only help my cause). But, come on, what did you expect?

Weren't there more important things said on both sides last night? No matter who you are or what your affiliation may be, you had to have learned something about the candidates last night. What some of their plans are, what their general demeanor and attitudes might be?

There were things said last night that left me far more disturbed than "that one". Truths were twisted, outright lies re-told. To tell you the truth, the word I found most disturbing was "maybe" - and perhaps it disturbed me more coupled with the smile and the wink.

Maybe is a word we've heard a lot in the last eight years. Come to think of it, often with a smile and a wink. And, could someone please refresh my memory - isn't that supposed to be the "straight talk express"? Sounds like more of the same old, same old. I think we know where that has gotten us.

I am wondering tonight what is humorous, or even entertaining, to John McCain about Iran obtaining nuclear weapons. What's so funny about Osama bin Laden?

I also find myself wondering why McCain would attack Barack Obama for wanting to talk - to use peace-keeping methods first - when it comes to Iran. Or why he would attack Obama for stating - in straight talk - that of course he would go after bin Laden - if Pakistan is unable or unwilling. Why attack a man who states that healthcare is a right? If that is what Barack Obama believes, isn't it straight talk to say it? Don't most Americans feel that decent, affordable healthcare that doesn't benefit only big insurance companies is our right?

Don't you have to question why John McCain would put a spending freeze on everything - except Defense and Veteran's services? Now, don't get me wrong here - I love my country and while I have never supported the illegal offenses taken in Iraq - I absolutely support the armed services. My father is one of those veteran's, retired and on a pension. He served my country for 30+ years and I am very proud of him. It's safe to say I whole-heartedly support veteran's rights. But, tonight, I am wondering about everything and everyone else not cared for in John McCain's spending freeze.

A friend says he thought McCain came off as "smarmy", and I agree. I found his constant use of the words "my friends" to be condescending. I once again felt that a slick politician spoke to me believing he is far smarter than me, and little old citizen me could not possibly understand the intricacies of domestic or foreign policy, let alone economics.

All in all, I don't know if I can say there is a winner. What is the ruler we measure the win with? But I left it feeling that Barack Obama attacked only when necessary. I felt that Mr. Obama attempted to use his time for us to get to know him. Perhaps what I took most from the entire thing is this - he remained steady in his answers, his demeanor was one of dignity. I felt that Barack made sense, even when he did not have a choice but to attack. Not only did he maintain his self-respect, but he was never disrespectful of his opponent, of the moderator or of the process.

Today, from the Obama camp - there is only one thing I can say I find a little bothersome. I don't want to hear about the Keating 5 - it's ancient history. Just as a radical neighbor of Barack Obama is also ancient history. I hope that the Obama campaign folks lay off that. I don't honestly see how it helps us.

And just one last thing... if you live in Chicago, aren't you even just a little bit insulted that if John McCain needed guidance, he certainly would never ask a Chicago politician?

2 comments:

TheTargumKid said...

I couldn't have said this better myself. The following statement is perfect:

"Obama attacked only when necessary. I felt that Mr. Obama attempted to use his time for us to get to know him. Perhaps what I took most from the entire thing is this - he remained steady in his answers, his demeanor was one of dignity. I felt that Barack made sense, even when he did not have a choice but to attack. Not only did he maintain his self-respect, but he was never disrespectful of his opponent, of the moderator or of the process."

Barack is a class act and he will bring that class back to the presidency. He doesn't need to desperately resort to below-the-belt tactics. He'll win this election the right way and he will instill in all of all the same sense of discipline, self respect, dignity, and measured action based on contemplative wisdom.

News Editor said...

A continuation of the theme "Sarah Palin is the devil."


http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10506822?source=rss